About Stephen Usala
Medical School: Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago
Graduation Year: 1982
Honors and Awards:
1995 Van Meter Award, American Thyroid Association
1996 Fellow, American College of Physicians
Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Participating in Maintenance of Certification
Knights of Columbus
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
Trindade AA, Usala SJ. Cervical-Vaginal Mucin in Fertility Assessment: CA125 as a Predictor of the Fertile Phase of the Normal Menstrual Cycle. Medicina (Kaunas). 2020;56(6):E304. Published 2020 Jun 20. doi:10.3390/medicina56060304
- Wang J, Usala SJ, O’Brien-Usala F, Biggs WC, Vaughn MW, McKenna GB. The fertile and infertile phases of the menstrual cycle are signaled by cervical-vaginal fluid die swell functions. The Endocrinologist 2009; 19:291-297.
- Shamim N, Usala SJ, Biggs WC, McKenna GB. The elasticity of cervical-vaginal secretions is abnormal in polycystic ovary syndrome: case report of five PCOS women. Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2012;16:1019-1021.
- Usala SJ, Biggs WC, O’Brien-Usala F. Vaginal swab levels of CA125 are related to time of cycle in ovulatory women: a pilot study. J Reprod Med 2015;60:287-293.
- Usala SJ. A 19-year story of adrenal hemorrhage, adrenal insufficiency, and adrenal recovery: dynamic cosyntropin results with treatment considerations. Acta Endocrinologica (Buc), vol. XII, no. 4, p. 469-474, 2016. doi: 10.4183/aeb.2016.469.
Selected other past work:
- Usala SJ, Brownstein B, Haselkorn R. Displacement of parental RNA strands during in vitro transcription by bacteriophage phi6 nucleocapsids. Cell 1980;19:855-862.
- Usala SJ, Bale AE, Gesundheit N, Weinberger C, Lash RW, Wondisford FE, McBride OW, Weintraub BD. Tight linkage between the syndrome of generalized thyroid hormone resistance and the human c-erbAbeta gene. Mol Endocrinol 1988;2:1217-1220.
- Usala SJ, Schumacher GFB. Volumetric self-sampling of cervicovaginal fluid: A new approach to ovulation timing. Fertil Steril 1983;39:304-309.
- Usala SJ, Tennyson GE, Bale AE, Lash RW, Gesundheit N, Wondisford FE, Accili D, Hauser P, Weintraub BD.A base mutation of the c-erbAbeta thyroid hormone receptor in a kindred with generalized thyroid hormone resistance. J Clin Invest 1990;85:93-100.
- Usala SJ, Menke JB, Watson TL, Wondisford FE, Weintraub BD, Berard J, Bradley WEC, Ono S, Mueller OT, Bercu BB. A homozygous deletion in the c-erbAbeta thyroid hormone receptor gene in a patient with generalized thyroid hormone resistance: isolation and characterization of the mutant receptor. Mol Endocrinol 1991;5:327-335.
- Usala AL, Madigan T, Burgera B, Sinha MK, Powell JG, Usala SJ. Intravenous, but not subcutaneous, insulin-like growth factor I induces sustained insulin sensitivity in severely resistant type I diabetic subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994;79:435-440.
- Lisker-Melman M, Di Bisceglie AM, Usala SJ, Weintraub BD, Murray LM, Hoofnagle JH, Development of thyroid disease during therapy of chronic viral hepatitis with interferon alpha. Gastroenterology 1992;102:2155-2160.
University of Chicago, A.B., 1975. Physics
University of Chicago, Ph.D., 1980. Biophysics & Theoretical Biology
University of Chicago, M.D., 1982. Medicine
Case Western Reserve University, 1982-1985. Internal Med Residency
National Institutes of Health, 1985-1989. Endocrine Fellowship