Dr. Anush Pillai, a 2018 Super Doctors® Honoree, is a board-certified Family Medicine physician at Kelsey-Seybold. He cares for his patients at Kelsey-Seybold’s Pearland Clinic. After earning his medical degree from the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center in Fort Worth in 2001, Anush Pillai, D.O., completed his internship and residency and later was elected chief resident at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston. Since 2004, Dr. Pillai has practiced full-spectrum Family Medicine along with being a faculty member training future physicians at the Texas Medical Center. He joined Kelsey-Seybold in 2014. His practice includes adult medicine, Pediatrics, Gynecology, and Geriatrics, and offers many office procedures to meet his patients’ needs. As a family physician, Dr. Pillai emphasizes evidence-based medicine and preventive medicine. “Above all, I want my patients to feel that they were heard and to feel confident when they leave that we – together – have developed the best plan of action for their healthcare,” he says.
About Anush Pillai
Medical School: University of North Texas Health Science Center—Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Graduation Year: 2001
Professional Webpage: https://www.houstonmethodist.org/doctor/anush-pillai/
Honors and Awards:
- 2012-2013: Faculty of the Year: Methodist Family Medicine Residency
- 2008-2009: Faculty of the Year – Methodist Family Medicine Residency
- 2006 - present: National Health Service Corps Award Recipient
- 2003: Chief Resident
- 2002: Outstanding PGY 2 Resident
- 1994: Presidential Scholarship for Scholastic Excellence
- 1993: Awards from Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC), Houston Livestock Rodeo for Research on MRI and NMR Spectroscopy.
- 1992: TAMS Program Admission
Fellowships and Faculty Development
- 2010 – June 2011
- NIPDD: Residency Program Director Fellowship
- Faculty Development – The Methodist Hospital – GME Office
- STFM Faculty Development Workshop
- 2019 - Present - FM Residency Director at HCA Houston Healthcare West
- 2019 - present - Clinical Associate Professor - University of Houston, College of Medicine
- 2010 – 8/2014
- Academic Vice Chair - Department of Family Medicine – The Methodist Hospital
- 2013 – 8/2014
- Clinical Associate Professor - Weill Medical College, Cornell University
- 2013 - present
- Clinical Associate Professor - University of Houston, College of Optometry
- 2008 - 2013
- Clinical Assistant Professor - Weill Medical College, Cornell University
- 2008 – 2013
- Clinical Assistant Professor - University of Houston, College of Optometry
COMMITTEES, LEADERSHIP, ACTIVITIES
- 2014-present: Kelsey Academy Lecturer/Presenter
- 2016-present: Medical Standards Committee, Kelsey Seybold Clinic
- 2014-2016: Education Committee, KHS, SGTS
- 2014: Chair, Clinical Competence Committee - Methodist Family Medicine Residency Program, Houston.
- 2013: Advocacy Course, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- 2012-2014: By Laws Committee – Texas Academy of Family Physicians
- 2012-2014: Academic Affairs Committee – Texas Academy of Family Physicians
- 2011 – present: Article Consultant, Interpretation of the Medical Literature Project, National Board of Medical Examiners.
- 2009 – 2016: Committee – CMPI Quality Improvement – Women’s Health/Nursery – Methodist Hospital
- 2010 – 2014: Team Leader, JCAHO committee - HCHC
- 2007 - 2014: Peer Reviewer: Journal of Women’s Health
- 2006 – 2014: HIPAA officer
- 2008 – 2014: OSHA officer
- 2006 - 2014: Article Reviewer for Journal of Family Practice
- 2006 - present: Sentinal Reader/Reviewer for Evidence Based Journals Group
- 2006 – 2014: Medical Advisor – Advisory Committee for Houston Head Start Program
- 2003 – 2008: National Youth Leadership Program: Lecturer
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
- Pillai, A., Wu, M. Photo Quiz: Dyspnea in an Older Patient. American Family Physician. August 1, 2013; 88(3): 199-200.
- Pillai, A., Medina, D. Photo Quiz: Rash in 8 year old male. American Family Physician. December 15, 2012;86(12):1141-42.
- Pillai, A., Kabir, Jahangir. An Elderly Man with Leg Pain and Chronic Rash. Clinical Geriatrics. June 2011; 19(6)
- Pillai, A. Photo Quiz: White Opaque Fluid in a Blood Draw. American Family Physician. April 15, 2009: page 699.
- Pillai, AS, Sprockel, PT, Barthmare, S. Tips for Talking to Teens about STDs. The Journal of Family Practice. February 2009. Vol.58; No.2: 76-82
- Pillai, AS, Bang, H., Green, C. (2007). Metformin and glitazones: Do they really help PCOS patients? J of Family Practice; 56(6): 444-453.
- Shen, A., Pillai, A. “What’s Your Diagnosis – Eruptive Xanthomas”. Consultant for Pediatricians. September 2008: pages 382-386.
- Pillai, A. Dermatology Quiz/Photo Quiz: Lingua Villosa Nigra. . Resident and Staff Physician, December 2005, pages 17 and 21.Books
- Toy, E, Loose, D, Tischkau, S., Pillai, A. Case Files Pharmacology, 3rd Edition. September 2013. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- Toy, E, Debord, C., Wanger, A, Castro, G., Kettering J.D. Pillai, A. Case Files Microbiology, 3rd Edition. Currently in Prepublication sales. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.Book Chapters
- Pillai, A. Hematuria in Adults. In Toy E, Briscoe D. eds. Case Files - Family Medicine. NY, NY. McGraw-Hill; 2007; Case 14: 131-137.
- Pillai, A. Prenatal Care. In Toy E, Briscoe D. eds. Case Files - Family Medicine. NY, NY. McGraw-Hill; 2007; Case 4: 41-49.
- Pillai A. “Internal Medicine” in Briscoe D. Lange Q&A: USMLE Step 3, 5th edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2007.