156 William Street
New York, NY 10038
Jared Knopman, M.D., is a board-certified neurosurgeon and interventional neuroradiologist who specializes in cerebrovascular disorders, including aneurysms, AVM’s, brain tumors, and carotid occlusive disease. He has expertise in embolization of aneurysms and AVM’s, carotid stenting/endarterectomy, and intra-arterial chemotherapy. He also performs spinal cord stimulation and microvascular decompression for chronic pain syndromes and trigeminal neuralgia. He is one of the few neurosurgeons in New York City with dual expertise in both open neurosurgical as well as minimally invasive interventional techniques for the treatment of neurologic disease, which affords him a unique perspective in determining the optimal treatment for each individual patient's needs using the most cutting-edge technologies. Dr. Knopman has been named to the SuperDoctors Rising Stars list, a distinction afforded the top 2.5% of physicians in his field. His expertise is widely sought and he serves as a consultant to other neurosurgeons, travelling the country to proctor them in advanced stenting techniques for complex aneurysms.
In 2016 the American Heart Association’s Young Professionals of NYC presented Dr. Knopman with its Young Heart Award, honoring him for his work as an advocate for heart health and for his pioneering work in new approaches to treating stroke.
Dr. Knopman received a B.A. and graduated cum laude and with honors from Northwestern University. Dr. Knopman received an M.D. from Mount Sinai School of Medicine, where he was elected to the AOA honor society. Dr. Knopman did his surgical internship and neurosurgical residency, also serving as chief resident, at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical College and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Hospital. Dr. Knopman did specialized fellowship training in endovascular neurosurgery/interventional neuroradiology at Weill Cornell Medical College. He has surgical and interventional expertise in treating a diverse array of diseases of the brain and spine.
Dr. Knopman has extensive research experience in the area of minimally invasive neurosurgery and has published both articles and book chapters pertaining to the treatment of degenerative spinal disease, brain tumors, and aneurysms utilizing the most innovative, least invasive approaches. He was one of the original authors of a novel trial of super-selective treatment of malignant brain tumors using targeted chemotherapy, as featured in The New York Times, and he has subsequently expanded this technique to children. He frequently lectures both nationally and internationally. Dr. Knopman has been awarded the prestigious CNS/Micrus Endovascular Neurosurgery grant, and from 2014 to 2017 he held the Leonard and Fleur Harlan Clinical Scholarship for his research in vascular disease. In addition, he is the Principal Investigator at Weill/Cornell of an NIH-funded study utilizing topical antibiotics to lower the risk of infection after brain surgery. This is the only such trial occurring in the country.
Dr. Knopman was recently featured in the NewYork-Presbyterian "Advances in Neurology and Neurosurgery" newsletter in an article about advanced techniques for diagnosing and treating stroke. (Read the article here.)
New York Super Doctors 2020
New York Super Doctors 2019
New York Super Doctors 2017
New York Rising Stars 2016
New York Rising Stars 2014
New York Rising Stars 2013
Medical School: Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University
Graduation Year: 2005
Professional Webpage: https://weillcornellbrainandspine.org/faculty/jared-knopman-...
Member, Congress of Neurological Surgeons
Member, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Member, AANS/CNS Cerebrovascular Section, Guideline’s committee
Senior member, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery
Member, Facial Pain Association
Director, Weill-Cornell Neurovascular Conference
Director, American-Austrian Foundation Cranial Neurosurgery Conference, Salzburg, Austria
Director, 3rd year Medical Student Acute Neuroscience Rotation
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Neurosurgery Section Editor
Cureus, Section Editor
Surgical Neurology International, Ad hoc reviewer
Neurosurgery, Ad hoc reviewer
Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery, Ad hoc reviewer
Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences, Ad hoc reviewer
American Journal of Neuroradiology, Ad hoc reviewer
Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, Ad hoc reviewer
US Neurology, Ad hoc reviewer
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Ad hoc reviewer
National Football League, Unaffiliated Neurotrauma Consultant
Medtronic Neurovascular, Consultant and Proctor
Microvention/Terumo, Consultant and Proctor
DICOM Grid/Ambra, Medical Advisory Board
AHA Young Professionals Medical Advisory Committee
AHA Executive Leadership Team
Lisa Colagrossi Foundation, Medical Advisory Board
1. Link TW, Knopman, J. In Reply: Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Series of 60 Cases. Neurosurgery, Aug 1;85(2):E93, 2019
2. Santillan A, Knopman J, Patsalides A, Gobin YP. Delayed intracranial aneurysm formation after cardiac myxoma resection: Report of two cases and review of the literature. Interv Neuroradiol, April; 25(2): 177-181, 2019
3. Knopman J, Link TW, Navi BB, Murthy SB, Merkler AE, Kamel H. Rates of Repeated Operation for Isolated Subdural Hematoma Among Older Adults. JAMA Netw Open, Oct; 1(6) 2108
4. Radwanski RE, Christophe BR, Pucci JU, Martinez MA, Rothbaum M, Bagiella E, Lowy FD, Knopman J, Connolly ES. Topical vancomycin for neurosurgery wound prophylaxis: an interim report of a randomized clinical trial on druge safety in a diverse neurosurgical population. J Neurosurg, Dec; 1:1-8 2018
5. Link T, Jones C, Boddu S, Ling N, Patsalides A, Gobin YP, Knopman J. Multiple Pipeline Embolization Devices Improves Aneurysm Occlusion without Increasing Morbidity: A Single Center Experience of 140 cases. JNIS, 2019 (SUBMITTED).
6. Link T, Boddu S, Paine S, Kamel H, Knopman J. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Chronic Subdual Hematoma: A Series of 60 Cases. Neurosurgery, Nov 2018
7. Link T, Winston G, Schwarz J, Patsalides A, Gobin YP, Lin N, Pannullo, Stieg P, Knopman J. Treatment of Unruptured Brain Arteriovenous Malformations: A Single Center Experience of 86 Patients and a Critique of the ARUBA Trial. World Neurosurgery, Dec; 120:e1156-e1162, 2018
8. Link T, Boddu S, Hammad H, Knopman J, Lin N, Gobin Y, Patsalides A. Endovascular treatment of middle cerebral artery aneurysms: A single center experience with a focus on thromboembolic complications. Interv Neuroradiol, Feb;24(1) 2018
9. Link T, Rapoport B, Paine S, Kamel, H, Knopman J. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Chronic Subdural Hematoma: Endovascular Technique and Radiographic Findings. Interv Neuroradiol, Aug;24(4) 2018
10. Link T, Schwarz J, Paine S, Kamel H, Knopman J. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Recurrent Chronic Subdural Hematoma. World Neurosurgery, Oct; 118: e570-e574, 2018
11. Boddu S, Santillan A, Lin N, Gobin YP, Patsalides A, Knopman J. Stent assisted coil embolization of unruptured intracranial aneurysms using the Low-profile Visualized Intraluminal Support (LVIS™) device - A single center experience. Neurosurgery, 2018 (SUBMITTED)
12. Boddu S, Santillan, A, Lin N, Gobin YP, Patsalides A, Knopman J. Double stent-assisted (Y and X) coil embolization of unruptured intracranial saccular aneurysms using the Low-profile Visualized Intraluminal Support (LVISTM) device - Single center experience. JVIN, May; 10(3) 1-9, 2019
13. Santillan A, Boddu S, Schwarz J, Lin N, Gobin YP, Knopman J, Patsalides A. LVIS Jr. Stent For Treatment Of Intracranial Aneurysms With Parent Vessel Diameter 2.5mm Or Less. Interv Neuroradiol, Jun;24(3) 2018
14. Santillan A, Schwarz J, Boddu S, Gobin YP, Knopman J, Patsalides A. Stent-assisted coil embolization of anterior communicating artery aneurysms using LVIS Jr stent. Interv Neuroradiol, Feb;25(1): 12-20, 2019
15. Robinson, T, Angevine P, Connolly E, Lowy F, Jonokuchi A, Knopman J, Radwanski R, Martinez M, Taylor B, Rothbaum M, Sullivan S, Christophe B, Sigounas D, Youngerman B, Bagiella E, Khan S. Topical Vancomycin to Reduce Surgical-Site Infections in Neurosurgery: Study Protocol For A Multi-Center, Randomized Controlled Trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials, Jan;64:195-200 2018
16. Link, T, Boddu, S, Marcus J, Rapoport B, Lavi E, Knopman J. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization as Treatment for Chronic Subdural Hematoma: A Case Series. Operative Neurosurg, 2017
17. Patsalides A, Leng LZ, Kimball D, Marcus J, Knopman J, Laufer I, Bilsky M, Gobin YP. Preoperative catheter spinal angiography and embolization of cervical spinal tumors: Outcomes from a single center. Interv Neuroradiol, 2016
18. Crimmins M, Gobin YP, Patsalides A, Knopman J. Therapeutic management of cerebral arteriovenous malformations: a review. Expert Review in Neurotherapeutics, 15(12): 1433-44, 2015
19. Morgenstern PF, Knopman J. Perimesencephalic hemorrhage and negative angiography: case illustration. Journal of Neurosurgery, 2015
20. Rigante L, Sigounas D, Kapoor R, Stieg PE, Knopman J. Acute orthostatic headache and diplopia due to spinal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Acta Neurol Belg, 2014.
21. Knopman J, Stieg PE. Management of unruptured brain arteriovenous malformations. Lancet, 383(9917): 581-3, 2014.
22. Warkentin TE, Basciano PA, Knopman J, Bernstein RA. Spontaneous heparin-induced thrombocytopenia syndrome: two new cases and a proposal for defining this disorder. Blood, 123(23):3651-4, 2014.
23. Marcus J, Schwarz J, Singh IP, Knopman J, Gobin YP, Patsalides A. Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulas: a review. Curr Atherscler Rep, 15(7): 335, 2013
24. McCrea H, Knopman J, Engel M, Riina HA, Souweidane MM, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP. Concurrent Anatomic Hemispherectomy and Thalamic Arteriovenous Malformation Resection. Childs Nerv Syst, 2012
25. Knopman J, Desai NS, Seedial SM, Mubita L, Huang C, Boockvar JA. Free nasoseptal mucosal flap for endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal skull base surgery: Results and operative technique. (SUBMITTED)
26. Santillan A, Knopman J, Zink W, Patsalides A, Gobin YP. Transluminal balloon angioplasty for symptomatic distal vasospasm refractory to medical therapy in patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery, 2011
27. Chater-Cure G, Hoffman C, Knopman J, Rhee S, Souweidane MM. Endoscopy-assisted removal of periorbital inclusion cysts in children. J Neurosurg Pediatr. (2):161-4, 2011.
28. Boockvar JA, Tsiouris AJ, Hofstetter CP, Kovanlikaya I, Fralin S, Kesavabhotla K, Seedial SM, Pannullo SC, Schwartz TH, Stieg P, Zimmerman RD, Knopman J, Scheff RJ, Christos P, Vallabhajosula S, Riina HA. Safety and maximum tolerated dose of superselective intraarterial cerebreal infusion of bevacizumab after osmotic blood-brain barrier disruption for recurrent malignant glioma: Clinical arfticle. J Neurosurg 114(3):624-32, 2011
29. Patsalides A, Knopman J, Santillan A, Tsiouris AJ, Riina H, Gobin YP. Endovascular treatment of spinal arteriovenous lesions: beyond the dural fistula. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2010 Nov 24.
30. Knopman J, Zink W, Patsalides A, Riina HA, Gobin YP. Secondary clinical deterioration after successful embolization of a spinal dural arteriovenous fistula: a plea for prophylactic anticoagulation. Interv Neuroradiol. 16(2):199-203, 2010.
31. Molinterno J, Knopman J, Parikh K, Hartl R, Boockvar JA. Results and Risk Factors for Recurrence Following Single-Level Tubular Lumbar Microdiscectomy. J Neurosurg Spine 12(6): 680-686, 2010.
32. Riina HA, Knopman J, Greenfield JP, Fralin S, Gobin YP, Tsiouris AJ, Souweidane MM, Boockvar JA. Balloon-assisted superselective intra-arterial cerebral infusion of bevacizumab for malignant brainstem glioma: A technical note. Interv Neuroradiol. 16(1):71-6, 2010.
33. Santillan A, Zink WE, Knopman J, Riina HA, Gobin YP. Early endovascular management of oculomotor nerve palsy associated with posterior communicating artery aneurysms. Interv Neuroradiol. 16(1):17-21, 2010.
34. Santillan A, Zink W, Knopman J, Riina H, Gobin YP. Balloon-assisted technique for trapped microcatheter retrieval following onyx embolization: A case report. Interv Neuroradiol. 15(4):453-5, 2009.
35. Tomasino A, Parikh K, Steinberger J, Knopman J, Boockvar J, Härtl R. Tubular microsurgery for lumbar discectomies and laminectomies in obese patients: operative results and outcomes. Spine 34 (18): E664-72, 2009.
36. Knopman J, Sigounas D, Huang C, Kacker, Schwartz TH, Boockvar JA. Combined Supraciliary and Endoscopic Endonasal Approach for Resection of Frontal Sinus Mucoceles: Technical note. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 52 (3): 149-51, 2009.
37. Knopman J, Tsiouris AJ, Souweidane MM. Atraumatic Epidural Hematoma secondary to a Venous Sinus Thrombosis: A Novel Finding. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2 (6): 416-419, 2008.
38. Parikh K, Tomasino A, Knopman J, Boockvar J, Härtl R. Operative results and learning curve: microscope-assisted tubular microsurgery for 1- and 2-level discectomies and laminectomies. Neurosurg Focus 25 (2): E14, 2008.
39. Sehba FA, Mustafa G, Knopman J, Friedrich V, Bederson, JB. Acute alterations in Microvascular basal lamina after Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Journal of Neurosurgery 101: 633-640, 2004.
1. Schwarz, J, Hussain I, Santillan A, Kutler D, Knopman, J. Paraganglioma Embolization. Neurointerventional Surgery: An Evidence Based Approach (eds. Min S. Park, M. Yashar
S. Kalani, and Michael F. Stiefel). Thieme Publishers, 2019 (IN PRESS)
2. Rapoport B, Knopman, J. Management of Thoracic Spinal Arteriovenous Malformations. Thieme Publishers, 2017 (IN PRESS).
3. Boddu SR, Knopman J, Stieg PE. Arteriovenous Malformations of Anterior Fossa. Complication avoidance and management in cerebrovascular and endovascular neurosurgery, 2016 edited by Chirag D. Gandhi and Charles J. Prestigiacomo. (IN PRESS)
4. Joshua Marcus, Jared Knopman, Philip Stieg. Carotid Endarterectomy. Youmans Neurological Surgery (IN PRESS)
5. Michael Crimmins, Mohammed Amin Banihashemi, Y. Pierre Gobin, Jared Knopman, and Athos Patsalides. Endovascular Management of Tumors of the Head, Neck, and Spine. PanVascular Medicine, Springer Publishers, 2015.
6. Howard A. Riina, Jared Knopman, Athos Patsalides, and Y. Pierre Gobin. Managing carotid injury during transsphenoidal surgery. Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery, Thieme Medical Publishers, 2012.
7. Knopman J, Hartl R. Encyclopedia for Public Health: Head Trauma, 2008
8. Tang Y, Venkataraman P, Knopman J, Lamb RA, Pinto LH. Viral Membrane Proteins: Structure, Function, and Drug Design. Edited by Wolfgang B. Fischer. The M2 Proteins of Influenza A and B Viruses are Single-Pass Proton Channels, 2005.
1. Santillan A, Boddu S, Schwarz J, Lin N, Gobin Y, Knopman J, Patsalides A. LVIS Jr. stent for treatment of intracranial aneurysms with parent vessel diameter 2.5 mm of less. SNIS, San Francisco, CA, 2018.
2. Link T, Winston G, Schwarz J, Knopman J. Treatment of Unruptured Arteriovenous Malformations: A Single Center Experience. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2018.
3. McCrea H, Knopman J, Ivanidze J, O’Connor A, Ranchod M, Gobin YP, Boockvar J, Greenfield,
J. Phase I/II trial of intra-arterial bevacizumab and cetuximab in pediatric DIPG and HGG and Proposal for future intra-arterial trial with repeat dosing and panobinostat for DIPG. Pacific Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Consortium, 2018.
4. Link, T, Winston G, Schwarz J, Knopman J. Treatment of Unruptured Arteriovenous Malformations: A Single Center Experience. AANS conference, 2018
5. Link T, Knopman J. Middle Meningeal Artery Embolization for Treatment of Chronic Subdural Hematoma. CNS conference, San Diego, CA, 2016
6. McCrea HJ, O’Connor A, Ranchod M, Boockvar J, Gobin P, Knopman J, Greenfield
JP. Update on Phase I/II Trial of Intra-arterial Bevacizumab and Cetuximab in Pediatric DIPG and HGG. 45th Annual Meeting of the AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurological Surgery, Orlando, FL, 2016.
7. S. Boddu, D. Kimball, M. Crimmins, A. Banihashemi, J. Knopman, A. Patsalides, P. Gobin. (2015) Endovascular Management of Extradural Dissecting Pseudoaneurysms: A Single Center Experience. SNIS.
8. S. Boddu, D. Kimball, M. Crimmins, A. Banihashemi, J. Knopman, P. Gobin, A. Patsalides. (2015) Endovascular Management of the Cranial Intradural Dissecting Pseudoaneurysms: A Single Center Experience. SNIS
9. S. Boddu, D. Kimball, M. Crimmins, A. Banihashemi, J. Knopman, A. Patsalides, P. Gobin. (2015) Endovascular Treatment of Giant Intracranial Aneurysms: A Single Center Experience. SNIS
10. S. Boddu, X. Sun, M. Crimmins, D. Kimball, J. Knopman, A. Patsalides, P. Gobin, N. Lin. (2015) Trends and Outcomes of Mechanical Thrombectomy in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Review of National In-Patient Database. SNIS
11. S. Boddu, A. Banihashemi, P. Gobin, J. Knopman, A. Patsalides. (2015) Coil embolization Versus Stent-assisted coil embolization of complex internal carotid artery aneurysms: Single center experience. SNIS
12. Knopman J, Souweidane MM. (2008) Endoscopic Assisted Removal of Periorbital Inclusions Cysts. AANS/CNS Pediatric Neurosurgery Section.
13. Knopman J, Meyrowitz S, Boockvar JA, Hartl R. (2007) Tubular microsurgery for lumbar disc herniation and spinal stenosis-Clinical results and complication rate. AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves.
14. Sehba F.A, Knopman J., Mustafa G., and J.B. Bederson. (2003) Activation of microvascular collagenases after acute subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). Society for Neurosciences 29: 100.6
15. Knopman J., Sehba F.A, Mustafa G., and J.B. Bederson. (2003) Microvascular collagenases are acutely activated after subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). 44th National Student Research Forum Poster # 16.
16. Sehba F. A., Mustafa G., Knopman J., Friedrich V., and J.B. Bederson. (2003) Microvascular basal lamina is compromised after acute subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). 28th International Stroke Conference Program Number: P96.
17. Tang Y., Knopman J., Lamb R.A., and L.H. Pinto. (2001) Effect of altered pHin on properties of M2 ion channel of influenza A. 44th National Biophysical Society Meeting.
B.A. in Neurobiology
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Doctor of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
Intern, General Surgery
Weill-Cornell Medical College
Weill-Cornell Medical College/Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Cente 2006-2012
Fellow, Endovascular Neurosurgery
Weill-Cornell Medical College
Chief Resident, Neurosurgery
Weill-Cornell Medical College/Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
156 William Street
New York, NY 10038
Super Doctors identifies top doctors as selected by their peers and the independent research of MSP Communications.
Super Doctors is published online and also in print as a special advertising section in leading newspapers and city and regional magazines.