Dr. Shahrooz Eshaghian is a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine with a subspecialty in hematology and oncology. After graduating from UCLA, he received his doctorate of medicine from Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He completed his internship and residency at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and fellowship in hematology-oncology at UCLA. He is currently an active attending physician at Cedars-Sinai, and a clinical instructor at UCLA. He strives to provide state-of-the-art, personalized and compassionate care to patients at Compassionate Oncology Medical Group along with Dr. Robert Leibowitz.
About Shahrooz Eshaghian
Medical School: Yeshiva University, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Graduation Year: 2006
Professional Webpage: www.compassionateoncology.org/comg-staff.php
Honors and Awards:
2012 Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)
2011 Chief Fellow, Division of Hematology/Oncology (UCLA)
2009 Nominated for Resident of the Year (Cedars Sinai Medical Center)
2007 Nominated for Intern of the Year (Cedars Sinai Medical Center)
2006 Distinction in Research, Hematology/Oncology (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
2005 Senior Research Fellowship Award (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
2003 Healthy African American Families Foundation Recognition Award
2003 Summer Research Project Award (Albert Einstein College of Medicine)
2002 Phi Beta Kappa
1998-02 UCLA Dean’s Honor Roll
2001 UCLA Alumni Distinguished Bruin Award
2001 UC Chancellor’s Presidential Undergraduate Research Fellowship
2001 UCLA College Honors Jean Stone Research Award
2001 Mortar Board National Honors Society
2000 Golden Key National Honors Society
2000 UCLA College Honors Morgan Harris Scholastic Award
1999 National Society of Collegiate Scholars
1999 Alpha Lambda Delta Phi Sigma Honors Society
1999 Beverly Hills Police Department Award of Merit
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- American Society of Hematology (ASH)
- Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute (SOCCI)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American College of Physicians (ACP)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Iranian American Medical Association
- Cedars Sinai Continuing Education Committee (July 2012-June 2014)
- CSMC Hematology-Oncology Consult Attending August 2012
- Clinical Associate Member Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute
- Medical Research Advisor Oncotherapeutics Research Group
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
- Eshaghian S, Gurval R. The Jews of Rome: Past & Modern Influences on Roman Culture and Civilization. UC Chancellor’s Presidential Undergraduate Independent Research Seminar. May 2002.
- Omry G, Eshaghian S. PCP in a Patient with CLL: Treatment Outcome and Prognosis. American College of Physicians. Poster Session. November 2005.
- Eshaghian S. Utility of D-dimer in Diagnosing Aortic Dissections. American College of Physicians. Poster Session. October 2007.
- Byun HM, Eshaghian S, Jiang JY, Choi SH, Soussa J, Ramezani L, Douer D, Yang AS. DNA Methylation Analysis of 807 Genes in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. The American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting Poster Session, Board #312-II. December 2007.
- Wooldridge A, Vaysburd M, Eshaghian S. Intravascular Large B-Cell Lymphoma Presenting as Thrombocytopenia, Syncope, and Pulmonary Emboli. American College of Physicians. Poster Session. October 2011.
Research Papers (Peer-Reviewed):
- Research Papers – Peer-Reviewed:
- Cao L, Wallace WD, Eshaghian S, Linhares Y, Marder VJ. Glomerular Hemophagocytic Macrophages in a Patient with Proteinuria and Clinical Features of Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). International Journal of Hematology. November 2011: 94(5):483-7.
- Kelesidis T, Humphries R, Terashita D, Eshaghian S, Territo MC, Said J, Lewinski M, Currier JS, Pegues D. Epstein-Barr Virus-Associated Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis in Los Angeles County. Journal of Medical Virology. May 2012: 84(5):777-85.
- Eshaghian S, Berenson JR. Multiple Myeloma: Improved Outcomes with New Therapeutic Approaches. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2012 Sep;6(3):330-6.
- Research Papers – Peer-Reviewed (In Press)
- Research Papers – Peer-Reviewed (Submitted)
- Kulkarni S, Eshaghian S, Holly JS, Kabbinavar F. Peritoneal carcinamatosis in ALK+ non-small cell lung cancer (Submitted to Lung Cancer, June 2012)
- Eshaghian S, Shackley BS, Schiller GJ. Kasabach-Merritt Syndrome: DIC in a Patient with APL and Angiosarcoma (Submitted to International Journal of Hematology, July 2012)
- Wooldridge, AR, Hussong, J, Vaysburd, M, Eshaghian S. Intravascular Large B-cell Lymphoma Presenting As Thrombocytopenia, Syncope, and Pulmonary Emboli (Submitted to International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, July 2012)
Research Papers (Non-Peer-Reviewed):
- Research Papers – Non-Peer-Reviewed:
- Brar R, Eshaghian S, Eshaghian S, Miles P. Acute Dapsone-Induced Methemoglobinemia in a 24 Year Old Female with Ulcerative Colitis. Hospital Physician, August 2007: 43:54-57.
- Eshaghian S, Yang AS. Methylation Profile of 13 Various Genes in CML. Albert Einstein College of Medicine Senior Research Seminar. May 2006.
- Eshaghian S, Schiller GJ. AML: Evidence Based Biomarker Data and Treatment Recommendations. www.tumorreport.com. October 2010.
Papers in Preparation (Research Completed):
- Eshaghian S, Berenson JR. Upcoming and novel agents in the treatment of myeloma. International Journal of Hematologic Oncology.
- Byun HM, Eshaghian S, Choi SH, Douer D, Trent J, Garcia-Manero G, Bhatia R, Siegmund K, Yang AS. DNA Methylation profiling of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML).
- Co-author: Phase I/II Trial of Autologous Peripheral Blood Progenitor Cell Transplantation With Velcade Maintenance as Treatment for Intermediate- and Advanced-Stage Multiple Myeloma
- Lead-author: Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH): Unusual Cluster of 9 Patients at a Single Institution (UCLA) with Review of Literature.
- Byun HM, Eshaghian S, Jiang JY, Choi SH, Soussa J, Ramezani L, Douer D, Yang AS. DNA Methylation Analysis of 807 Genes in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia and Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. Blood (Sup). November 2007: 110:11.
- Berenson JR, Hilger JD, Klein LM, Eshaghian S, Nassir Y, Swift RA, Vescio R. A Phase 1/2 Study of Pomalidomide, Dexamethasone and Pegylated Liposomal Doxorubicin for Patients with Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma. ASH 2012.
- Berenson JR, Hilger JD, Dichmann R,Patel-Donnelly D, Boccia RV, Bessudo A, Stampleman L, Gravenor DS, Eshaghian S, Nassir Y, Swift RA, Vescio R. A Phase 1/2 Study of Carfilzomib as a Replacement for Bortezomib for Multiple Myeloma Patients Refractory to a Bortezomib-Containing Combination Regimen. ASH 2012.