Dr. Nishant Patel is a urologist who practices in Santa Clarita, and an assistant clinical professor of urology, endourology and stone disease in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He has clinical expertise in ureteroscopy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL), shockwave lithotripsy and endoscopic management of urothelial tumors. He also has unique training in Holmium Enucleation of the Prostate gland for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia.
Dr. Patel received his medical degree from the University of Arizona. He completed his urology residency at the University of California, San Diego, and his fellowship training in advanced endourology and stone disease at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
In addition to his outpatient practice in Valencia and Burban, he also has privileges at Henry Mayo Newhall Medical Center in Santa Clarita, UCLA Santa Monica and UCLA Ronald Reagan
About Nishant Patel
Medical School: Arizona College of Medicine, University of
Graduation Year: 2008
Professional Webpage: https://www.uclahealth.org/nishant-patel
Honors and Awards:
University of Arizona, Summa Cum Laude 2004
University of Arizona, College of Medicine 2008
Commitment to Underserved People Award
AUA Western Section Best in Session Moderated Poster 2012
San Diego Urologic Society Research Competition- 2013-2015
Laurence F. Greene Memorial Award 2013, 2014
Outstanding AUA In-Service Score
Kaiser Excellence in Teaching Award Nominee 2013
AUA Western Section Resident Bowl Finalist 2013
AUA Western Section Resident Bowl Winning Team 2014
AUA National Resident Bowl Participant 2015
AUA Chief Resident Debate Participant 2015
George Kaplan Research Award Honorable Mention 2015
San Diego Urologic Society Research Competition- 2016
George Kaplan Research Award 2nd place 2016
Endourology Society Fellow Clinical Essay Contest 2017
Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation Teaching in 2017
American Board of Urology, Diplomate
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
- Herman MP, Dorsey PJ, John M, Patel ND, Leung R, Tewari AK. Techniques and Predictive Models To Improve Prostate Cancer Detection. Cancer. 2009 Jul 1;115(13 Suppl):3085-99.
- Tewari AK, Patel ND, Leung RA, Yadav R, Vaughan ED, El-Douaihy Y, Tu JJ, Amin MB, Akhtar M, Burns M, Kreaden U, Rubin MA, Takenaka A, Shevchuk MM. Visual Cues as a Surrogate for Tactile Feedback During Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy: Posterolateral Margin Rates in 1340 Consecutive Patients. BJU Int. 2010 Aug;106(4):528-36.
- Stroup SP, Raheem OA, Palazzi KL, Liss MA, Mehrazin R, Kopp RP, Patel ND, Cohen SA, Park SK, Patterson AL, Kane CJ, Millard F, Derweesh IH. Does Timing of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Impact Patient Survival with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma in the Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Era? A Multi-Institutional Study. Urology. 2013 Apr;81(4):805-11.
- Banapour P, Patel ND, Kane CJ, Cohen SA, Parsons JK. Robotic-Assisted Simple Prostatectomy: A Systematic Review and Report of a Single Institution Case Series. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014 Mar;17(1):1-5.
- Patel ND, Parsons JK. Epidemiology and Etiology of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Bladder Outlet Obstruction. Indian J Urol. 2014 Apr;30:170-6.
- Patel ND, Chew B, Knudsen B, Lipkin M, Wenzler D, Sur RL. Accuracy of Endoscopic Intraoperative Assessment of Urologic Stone Size. J Endourol. 2014 May;28(5):582-6.
- Patel ND, Parsons JK. Robotic-Assisted Simple Prostatectomy: Is there Evidence to go Beyond the Experimental Stage? Curr Urol Rep. 2014 Oct;15(1):443.
- Kopp RP, Mehrazin R, Palazzi KL, Liss MA, Jabaji R, Mirheydar HS, Lee HJ, Patel ND, Elkhoury F, Patterson AL, Derweesh IH. Survival Outcomes after Radical and Partial Nephrectomy for Clinical T2 Renal Tumors Categorized by RENAL Nephrometry Score. BJU Int. 2014 Nov;114(5):708-18.
- Liss MA, Taylor SA, Batura D, Steensels D, Chayakuleeree M, Soenens C, Rao GG, Dash A, Park S, Patel ND, Woo J, Mcdonald M, Nseyo U, Banapour P, Unterberg S, Ahlering TE, Van Poppel H, Sakamoto K, Fierer J, Black PC. Fluoroquinolone Resistant Rectal Colonization Predicts Risk of Infectious Complications Following Transrectal Prostate Biopsy. J Urol. 2014 Dec;192(6):1673-8.
- Liss MA, Wang S, Palazzi K, Jabaji R, Patel ND, Lee HJ, Parsons JK, Derweesh IH. Evaluation of national trends in the utilization of partial nephrectomy in relation the publication of the American Urological Association guidelines for the management of clinical T1 renal masses. BMC Urol. 2014 Dec 17;14(1):101
- Mirheydar HS, Raheem OA, Elkhoury FF, Jabaji R, Palazzi KL, Patel ND, Du R, Maroney S, Sakamoto K. Modern advances in reducing anxiety and pain associated with cystoscopy: Systematic review. World J Transl Med. 2015 March 5.
- Raheem OA, Mirheydar HS, Patel ND, Patel SH, Suliman A, Buckley JC. Surgical Management of Traumatic Penile Amputation: A Case Report and Review of the World Literature. Sex Med. 2015 Mar;3(1):49-53.
- Patel ND, Shi W, Liss M, Raheem OA, Wenzler D, Schallhorn C, Kiyama L, Lakin C, Ritter M, Sur RL. Multi-Drug Resistant Bacteruria Prior to Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Predicts for Post-operative Infectious Complications. J Endourol. 2015 May;29(5)531-6
- Autorino R, Zargar H, Mariano MB, Sanchez-Salas R, Sotelo RJ, Chlosta PL, Castillo O, Matei D, Celia A, Koc G, Vora A, Aron M, Parsons JK, Pini G, Jensen J, Sutherland D, Chatelineau X, Bragayrac LA, Varkarakis IM, Amparore D, Ferro M, Gallo G, Volpe A, Vuruskan H, Bandi G, Hwang J, Nething J, Muruve N, Chopra S, Patel ND, et al. Perioperative Outcomes of Robotic and Laparoscopic Simple Prostatectomy: A Euro-American Multi-Institutional Analysis. Eur Urol. 2015 Jul;68(1):86-94
- Raheem OA, Mirheydar JS, Lee H, Patel ND, Godebu E, Sakamoto K. Does listening to music during office-based cystoscopy decrease anxiety in patients? A prospective randomized trial. J Endourol. 2015 Jul;29(7):791-6
- Kuntz NK, Neisius A, Tsivian M, Ghaffar M, Patel ND, Ferrandino MN, Sur RL, Preminger GM, Lipkin ME. Balloon Dilation of the Ureter: A Contemporary Review of Outcomes and Complications. J Urol. 2015 Aug;194(2):413-7
- Kopp RP, Liss MA, Mehrazin R, Wang S, Lee HJ, Jabaji R, Mirheydar HS, Gillis K, Patel ND, Palazzi KL, Wan JY, Patterson AL, Derweesh IH. Analysis of renal functional outcomes after radical or partial nephrectomy for renal masses >7 cm using the RENAL score. Urology. 2015 Aug;86(2):312-20.
- Liss MA, Deconde R, Caovan D, Hoefler J, Gabe M, Palazzi K, Patel ND, Lee HJ, Ideker T, Van Poppel H, Karow D, Aertsen M, Casola G, Derweesh IH. Parenchymal Volumetric Assessment as a Predictive Tool to Determine Renal Function Benefit of Nephron Sparing Compared to Radical Nephrectomy. J Endourol. 2016 Jan;30(1):114-21
- Patel ND, Woo JR, Liss MA, Palazzi K, Kopp RP, Mehrazin R, Jabaji R, Mirheydar H, Cohen SA, Patterson A, Kane CJ, Millard F, Derweesh IH. Does timing of Targeted Therapy for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Impact Treatment Toxicity and Surgical Complications: A Comparative Analysis of Primary and Adjuvant Approaches. Can J Urol. 2016 Apr;23(2):8227-33.
- Patel ND, Santomauro M, Marietti S, Chiang G. Laparoendoscopic single site surgery in pediatric urology: Does it require specialized tools? Int Braz J Urol. 2016 Mar-Apr;42(2):277-83.
- Buckley JC, Patel ND, Wang S, Liss M. National Trends in the Management of Urethral Stricture Disease: A 14-Year Survey of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Urol Pract. 2016 July.
- Nseyo U, Patel ND, Hsieh TC. Vasectomy Reversal Surgical Patterns: An Analysis of the American Board of Urology Case Logs. Urology. 2016 Nov 17.
- Patel ND, Akhavein A, Hinck B, Jain R, Monga M. Tipless Nitinol Stone Baskets: Comparison of Penetration Force, Radial Dilation Force, Opening Dynamics and Deflection. Urology. 2017 May;103:256-260.
- Abbott JE, Miller DL, Shi W, Wenzler D, Elkhoury FF, Patel ND, Sur RL. Optimization of urinary dipstick pH: Are multiple pH readings reliably comparable to commercial 24-hour urinary pH. Investigative and Clinical Urology. 2017 May;58.
- Patel ND, Cohen BR, De S, Kartha G, Li I, Sarkissian C, Calle JC, Monga M. Continuation of Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Inhibitors Does Not Impact Renal Function Among Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy. J Endourol. 2017 Jun;31(6):577-582.
- Patel ND, Ward RD, Calle JC, Remer EM, Monga M. Vascular Disease and Kidney stones: Abdominal Aortic Calcifications Are Associated with Low Urine pH and Hypocitraturia. J Endourol. June 12 2017.
- Stroup SP, Hamilton ZA, Marshal MT, Lee HJ, Berquist SW, Hassan AS, Beksac AT, Field CA, Bloch A, Wan F, McDonald ML, Patel ND, L’Esperance JO, Derweesh IH. Comparison of retroperitoneal and transperitoneal robotic partial nephrectomy for Pentafecta perioperative and renal functional outcomes. World J Urol. 2017 June27
- Patel ND, Brown RD, Sarkissian C, De S, Monga M. Quality of Life and Urolithiasis: The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS). Int Braz J Urol. 2017 Aug 8;43.
- Patel ND, Ward RD, Calle JC, Remer EM, Monga M. CT-based Diagnosis of Visceral Obesity and Hepatic Steatosis is Associated with Low Urine pH. J Urol. 1 Nov 2017. Featured on Cover
- Patel ND, Monga M. Ureteral Access Sheaths: a comprehensive comparison of physical and mechanical properties. Int Braz J Urol. 2018 March 1;44.
- Alshara L, Batagello CA, Armanyous S, Gao T, Patel ND, Remer EM, Monga M. The Impact of Thiazide and Potassium Citrate on Bone Mineral Density Evaluated by CT Scan in Stone Formers. J Endourol. 2018 March 8.
- Patel ND, Ward RD, Calle JC, Remer EM, Monga M. CT based diagnosis of low vertebral bone mineral density is associated with hypercalciuria and hypocitraturia on opportunistic imaging. J Endourol. June 28 2018.
Fellowship: 2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic Cleveland, OH Fellow, Advanced Endourology and
Foundation Stone Disease
Residency: 2011-2016 University of California, San Diego, CA Resident, Urology
San Diego Health System
Internship: 2010-2011 University of California, San Diego, CA Intern, General Surgery
San Diego Health System