San Antonio is home to Dr. Vivian Bucay, M.D., her husband Moises Bucay, a cardiologist and their three daughters. Dr. Bucay is recognized nationally for her expertise in minimally invasive facial rejuvenation through the combined use of neuromodulators, injectable dermal fillers, and skin resurfacing, Considered to be one of the pre-eminent dermatologists in the country, Dr. Bucay’s credentials span a wide scope of biomedical research, patient care, and medical education.
Licensed in both the United States and Mexico, she is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the Johns Hopkins University, completing her undergraduate studies in 1983 while serving as a research assistant at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center. She earned her MD in 1987 from Houston-based Baylor College of Medicine. After completing an internship in pediatrics in 1988, Dr. Bucay began a residency in dermatology at The University of Miami School of Medicine which she then completed at Baylor College of Medicine in 1991.
Certified by the American Board of Dermatology, Dr. Bucay serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Physician Assistant Studies of the UT Health Science Center San Antonio. Dr. Bucay serves as faculty on several continuing medical,
educational initiatives in the USA. She is sought for speaking engagements and has been featured as a keynote speaker across the globe on a wide scope of topics ranging from innovations in facial aesthetics to neuromodulators to cancer survival.
A personal battle with stage 4 melanoma, one of the deadliest forms of skin cancer, has enabled Dr. Bucay to connect with her patients in a unique way. Dr. Bucay’s patient empathy is borne of the mental, social, and physical challenges she experienced as a patient in her fight with cancer. Cancer free since August 2007, her victory has been an inspiration to her patients. Passionate about skin wellness; Dr. Bucay has been featured as a skin expert in several publications, including Allure, Cosmetic Surgery Times, Elle, More, Shape, Men's Health, Glamour, Redbook, Prevention, and Good Housekeeping. Since 2004, Dr. Bucay has been recognized yearly as a Texas Super Doctor by Texas Monthly Magazine. Dr. Bucay is a Distinguished Physician Member of the Liquid Face Lift Association and is the author or co-author of many publications and is involved in several studies evaluating emerging cosmeceuticals.
On a community level, Dr.Bucay is actively involved with Respite Care: A San Antonio-based organization, Respite Care of San Antonio, Inc., was founded in 1987 to provide support for families caring for a child or loved one with developmental disabilities. The original mission, to enhance the stability and nurturing opportunities of these families, is fulfilled through the provision of community-based and overnight shelter services designed to give short-term relief to participating parents. In 1997 the mission expanded to provide care for children with special needs from throughout the state who have been taken into protective custody as a result of abuse and neglect. Dr.Bucay has helped raise awareness for this worthwhile cause through fundraising efforts as an honoree for the North Star Gives initiative. She continues her efforts in raising funds and awareness by partnering with AnArte Gallery in San Antonio.
About Vivian Bucay
Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine
Graduation Year: 1987
Professional Webpage: www.drvivianbucay.com/about/
Honors and Awards:
What you hold in your hands or read on your screen is a massive ode to the majority vote.
In a world where decision making is messy, in a year when we will use and arcane system to pick our country's next leader, the majority vote is simple and clean and cutthroat. And it is how we assembled the winners of Best of San Antonio 2016.
San Antonio Current Best Dermatologist of 2016 , http://www.sacurrent.com/, 2016
The Patient Institute - Educating Patients. Empowering You.
Dr. Bucay was honored for using her experiences as patients to educate and advocate for others requiring similar care. Vivian Bucay, M.D. Vivian, a renowned dermatologist, had been diagnosed with Melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. Vivian went on to tell the story of her self-diagnosis, her treatments, finding out that the Melanoma was Stage four and had spread to her lungs, and the irony of her being a doctor suffering with the disease that she is meant to diagnose in others. She mentioned that she writes articles and gives lectures throughout the world about her experience. Dr. Bucay has been blessed with being cancer-free and having good prognoses. The Patient Institute educates patients and provides them with tools that they need to more successfully navigate the healthcare system!
North Star Gives Will Honor Eight Women and Men Who Inspire Change
SAN ANTONIO (February 7, 2014) — North Star Gives, presented by North Star Mall in partnership with Saks Fifth Avenue honors people who crusade for public good, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday, March 20, in the Saks Fifth Avenue wing. The eight women and men being recognized this year include: Suhail Arastu, Musical Bridges Around the World; Di-Anna Arias, Time Dollar Community Garden; Louis Barrios, Viola's Huge Heart; Peggy Brink, Care; Dr. Vivian Bucay, Respite Care; Jason Cox, Marrow Me; Katy Flato, San Antonio Public Library Foundation; and Beth Webster-Wright, The San Antonio Furniture Bank.
Now in its fourth year, the annual spring event celebrates champions of change who affect our community in a rich kaleidoscope of ways. Whether driven by personal quests or just a sincere desire to make a difference, the people honored set inspiring examples of the meaning of volunteerism and advancing the quality of life for others.
Dr. Vivian Bucay, Respite Care San Antonio
Respite Care provides services to enhance the stability and the nurturing opportunities of families caring for a loved one with a developmental disability. Respite Care is a place for parents and families to regroup from the constant pressures of care and caring. It is a place where their children – who don't quite 'fit in' by some definitions – can participate, be cared for and be celebrated for the individuals they are. Respite Care has also become a safe haven for children who have been victims of abuse or neglect. Encompassing a series of services and programs administered by professionally trained caregivers in multiple locations throughout San Antonio, Respite Care offers full-service child daycare, an emergency shelter, foster placement and part time day out programs. Most programs are for the child with special needs, as well as siblings. To support this great cause visit www.drvivianbucay.com.
Allergan, Inc- consultant and speaker
*SkinMedica- consultant, speaker and investigator
Procter and Gamble
AVEENO division of Johnson and Johnson
Ortho Neutrogena Division of Johnson and Johnson
Laboratorios ISDIN (Spain)
HydropeptideApril Rain Skin Science (Guiding dermatologist)
Syneron Topical Aesthetics
Ellman International, Inc.
- MEDIA EXPERIENCE
- Television “Un Nuevo Dia” — Discussed Facial Rejuvenation using laser resurfacing. June 1998, Mexico City, Mexico.
- WOAI NBC Affiliate Television Station, San Antonio, TX- Dermatology expert with regular television appearances on the LIVING SHOW to discuss various topics about medical and cosmetic dermatology, 2002-2008KENS CBS Affiliate television station, San Antonio, TX
- News segments on various topics in medical and cosmetic dermatologyUnivision 41, Univision Affiliate San Antonio, TX- Featured dermatologist since 2001 on the talk show DESDE SAN ANTONIO regarding skin problems in HispanicsPrint media: quoted in San Antonio Express News, Cosmetic Surgery Times, Dermatology Times, Skin and Allergy News, Plastic Surgery Practice, New Beauty, Allure, Shape, More, Good Housekeeping, Fitness, and Elle
- Television “Un Nuevo Dia” — Discussed Facial Rejuvenation using laser resurfacing. June 1998, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Dermatology Nurses Association monthly meeting. Discussed Tazarotene in the treatment of acne vulgaris. Houston, Texas. August 2000.
- Headed Round Table Discussion of Tazarotene in the treatment of acne vulgaris and anti- aging. New Orleans, Louisiana. September 2000.
- Society for Cosmetic Physicians of Western Australia — Guest Speaker: The Art of Facial Rejuvenation. Perth, Western Australia March 2002
- Co-Chair for Asia Pacific Expert Injectors Conference — Guest Speaker: Advanced Applications of Botox. Gave course and led workshop at the conference. Bali, Indonesia March 2002
- Advances in Facial Contouring, Vancouver, Canada. August 2003
- Annual meeting of the Society for Dermatology Physician Assistants — Guest Speaker: The Art of Facial Rejuvenation. San Antonio, Texas November 15, 2003
- American Society for Cosmetic Dermatology and Aesthetic Surgery: “The Use of Fillers in Facial Rejuvenation.” Las Vegas, Nevada December 2003
- 20th Annual Update Dermatology and All that Jazz 2004 Conference, sponsored by Tulane University, “The use of Fillers for Facial Aesthetic Enhancement. New Orleans, Louisiana April 2004
- American Society of Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery: “The Evolving Use of Botulinum Toxin and Fillers in Facial Rejuvenation.” Chicago, Illinois, September 2005
- Skin Disease Education Foundation Meeting – Women’s and Pediatric Dermatology: “The Evolving Use of Botulinum Toxin and Fillers in Facial Rejuvenation.” San Antonio, Texas, September 2006.
- Keynote Speaker at the KLRN Women’s Health Conference, Laredo, Texas. January 2007.
- Co-chair for CME-approved course, “Shaping the Course of Aesthetic Medicine: Advanced Techniques.” San Antonio, Texas, February 2007.
- Keynote Speaker at the Annual Women in Medicine Dinner of the Bexar County Medical Society, San Antonio, Texas, September 2007.
- Faculty, Facial Aesthetics National Exchange Forum Consultant Meeting, The Science of Rejuvenation, sponsored by Allergan, San Diego, California, 2008
- Texas Dermatological Association, annual spring meeting, “The Evolving Use of Botulinum Toxin and Fillers,” San Antonio, Texas, May 2008
- Co-chair for CME- approved course, “Injector Training Regional Symposium,” Austin, Texas, Aug. 9, 2008
- Speaker for CME series “Differentiating Among Hyaluronic Acid Fillers,” Presentations given in San Jose, San Diego, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, and New York City during September, October, and November, 2008
- Steering Committee and Faculty, Advances in Cosmetic Therapy (ACT) CME Initiative: Advances in Cosmetic Therapy: A Focus on BoNT-A. October 2008, patient injections and filming in preparation for Curriculum Content Development Meeting, Dallas, TX, December 2008. Faculty speaker for meetings in Miami, FL, Sept 2009, Jacksonville, FL, Oct 2009, and San Antonio, TX, Oct 2009. Santa Fe, NM, Jan 2010
- Faculty, PALETTE (Progressive Aesthetic Learning Essential to Technical Expertise) CME Initiative, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Course leader of hands-on workshops held throughout the US
- Guest Speaker, Annual Meeting of the AVEENO/Neutrogena sales force, “Sun protection for health and Beauty,” Dallas, Texas, January 2009
- Guest Speaker, Annual Meeting of the Novartis Pharmaceuticals sales force, oncology division, “Surviving Stage 4 Melanoma: A Patient’s Perspective,” Orlando, FL, June 2009
- Guest Speaker, BODY Conference 2009, “Laser and Light Based Cellulite Treatment,” Royal College of Physicians, London, UK, November 2009
- Keynote Address, Annual Meeting of the Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants, “Surviving Advanced Melanoma,” Scottsdale, AZ, November 14, 2009
- Faculty, Cosmetic Surgery Forum 2009, Faculty Panels: Treatment Strategies for Hyperpigmentation; Cosmeceuticals in Clinical Practice; Fillers, Las Vegas, Nevada, Dec 4-6, 2009
- Invited Guest Speaker, Annual meeting of SEME (Sociedad Espanola de Medicina Estetica), “Topical Anesthetics for Medical and Cosmetic Procedures in Dermatology,” Barcelona, Spain, Feb. 2010
- Invited Speaker, Second Annual Dysport Meeting (Galderma, Brazil), “Combination Treatment with BoNT-A, Fillers, and Lasers,” Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 2010
- Faculty, Integrating New Neuromodulators CME Initiative, Hands-on instructional workshops, Austin, TX, April 2010, San Antonio, TX, June 2010
- Faculty Speaker, Combined Meeting of the ASDS and ASCDAS, “Medical Presentations, Photography, and Patient Confidentiality,” Chicago, IL, Oct. 2010
- Invited Guest Speaker, “Treatment Strategies for Melasma and Hyperpigmentation,” Elure (Syneron Topical Aesthetics) World Launch Media Event, Singapore, Nov. 2010
- Invited Guest Speaker, Annual Meeting of the Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants, “Combined Use of Fillers and Neuromodulators in Facial Aesthetics,” and “Fillers for Facial Contouring,” Grapevine, TX, Nov. 2010
- Faculty, Cosmetic Surgery Forum, Las Vegas, NV, Dec. 2010
- Medscape Education Dermatology CME Videos (3). “Aesthetic Use of Neurotoxins: Safety and Informed Consent,” December 28, 2010. “Doses and Units in the Aesthetic use of Neurotoxins,” January 28, 2011. “Patient Satisfaction During Aesthetic Neurotoxin Treatment,” February 22, 2011.
- Faculty, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology, “Managing Filler Complications,” New Orleans, LA, Feb. 2011
- Poster, “A case report of lignin peroxidase lotion used to treat post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation in skin type V,” presented at the Skin of Color Seminar Series, New York City, May 14, 2011.
- Faculty, 7th Annual Cosmetic Surgery Vegas, Presentations: “Coordination of the Aesthetic Team,” June 25, 2011 and Masters Session “Step by Step Nonsurgical Facial Rejuvenation,” June 26, 2011
- Invited speaker, 2011 ASDS Annual Meeting, “Core Curriculum in Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Track: Neurotoxins,” Washington, DC, Nov. 2011
- Faculty, Cosmetic Surgery Forum, Las Vegas, NV, Dec. 2011
- Faculty, Dermaceutic Expert Meeting, Istanbul, Turkey, June, 2012
- Faculty, 2012 Vegas Cosmetic Surgery, June 2012
- Invited Speaker, 2012 ASDS Annual Meeting. “Core Curriculum in Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery track: Neurotoxins,” Atlanta, GA, October 2012
- Invited Guest Speaker, “Treatment Strategies for Melasma and Hyperpigmentation,” Elure (Syneron Topical Aesthetics), Israeli Launch, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Haifa, Israel, October, 2012
- Invited Speaker, Ultimate Skin Health Symposium, “Combination Treatments for Facial Rejuvenation,” Los Angeles, CA, Nov. 9-11, 2012
- Faculty, Cosmetic Surgery Forum, Las Vegas, NV, Nov.29-Dec. 2, 2012
Publications, Lectures and Presentations:
- Wasserteil, V. Bruce, 5: Fever and hypotrichosis in a newborn. Arch Dermatol. 1986. 122:1325-1330.
- Wasserteil, V. Bruce, 5: Ricardi, VM: Non-von Recklinghausen’s neurofibromatosis presenting as hemifacial neurofibromas and contralateral cafd-au-lait- spots. J Am Acad Dermatol, 1987. 16:1090-1096.
- Wasserteil, V. Jimenez-Acosta, FJ. Kerdel, FA: Disseminated histoplasmosis presenting as a rosacea-like eruption in a patient with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Inter. J. Dermatol. 1990.29:649-651.
- Wasserteil, V. Kerdel, FA: A case of Erythema Dyschromicum Perstans. Self-Assessment. Examination for the American Academy of Dermatology. JAm Acad Dermatol. 1989. 21:604-608
- Mertz, PM. Marshall, DA. Cazzaniga, AL. Wasserteil, V. Eaglstein, WH: The effects of a new antimicrobial peptide magainin on pseudomonas aeruginosa proliferation in wounds (Abstract). J Invest Dermatol. 1990. 94:555.
- Wasserteil, V. Bruce, S: Fievre et hypotrichose chez un noouveau-ne. Les cases cliniques des archives of dermatology. 1990. 2:19-21.
- Wasserteil, V. Bruce, 5, Sessoms SL, et al. Pyoderma gangrenosum treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Int J Dermatol 1992. 31:594-6.
- Bucay, VW: Ironic Diagnosis ‘Changes Life Forever’. San Antonio Medicine. 2006. 59(10):32-33
- Bucay, VW: A Dermatologist’s Battle with Melanoma. The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal. 2008. XXVI:52-56
- Bucay, VW: Surviving Advanced Melanoma: A Dermatologist’s Personal Perspective. The Melanoma Letter, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2008
- Bucay, V: Building the Skin Care Regimen: Choosing the right ingredients. Practical Dermatology. Feb. 2011, p. 31-38.
- Maas C, Kane MAC, Bucay VW, et al. Current Aesthetic Use of AbobotulinumtoxinA in Clinical Practice: An Evidence-Based Consensus Review. Aesthet Surg J 2012; 32:8S-29S.
- Bucay VW, Day D. Adjunctive Skin Care of the Periorbital Region and Brow. Clin Plastic Surg, 2013; 40: 225-236.
- Vega JM, Bucay VW, Mayoral FA. Prospective, Multicenter Study to Determine the Safety and Efficacy of a Unique Radiofrequency Device for Moderate to Severe Hand Wrinkles. J Drugs Dermatol. 2013; 12(1): 24-26.
PRESENTATIONS (during post-graduate training)
- Wasserteil, V. Jimenez- Acosta, FJ. Kerdel, FA: Disseminated Histoplasmosis Resembling Rosacea in a Patient with AIDS. Gross and Microscopic Symposium. 48” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology. December 2, 1989.
- Wasserteil, V. Bruce, S. Fehir, K. Sessoms, 5: Dermatomyositis- like Eruption Associated with Chemotherapy for Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. 22 Annual Meeting of the South Central Dermatology Congress. January 28, 1990.
- Wasserteil, V. Levy, ML: Benign Cephalic Histiocytosis. Gross and Microscopic Symposium. 49th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology. December 1, 1990.
- Mertz, PM. Marshall, DA. Cazzaniga, AL. Wasserteil, V. Berkowitz, B: Effect of a topical magainin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa proliferation in wounds. (Poster) American Society of investigative Dermatology. May 2-5, 1990.
- Mertz, PM. Marshall, DA. Cazzaniga, AL. Wasserteil, V. Eaglstein, WH. Berkowitz, B: Effect of a topical magainin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa proliferation in wounds. (Poster) American Society of Microbiology. May 1990.
- Mertz, PM. Marshall, DA. Cazzaniga, AL Wasserteil, V. Eaglstein, WH. Berkowitz, B: Effect of a topical magainin on Pseudomonas aeruginosa proliferation in wounds. (Poster) 49th Annual Academy of Dermatology. December 1-6, 1990.
- Enzyme Kinetics and the Relationship of Beta-Glucuronnidase Release to Platelet Viability in Stored and Frozen Platelet Concentrates (under J.P. Hester, M.D.). Summer Program in Biomedical sciences at M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, Texas. 1979.
- The effects of Anticoagulants on in vitro Lymphocyte Transformation (under J.P. Hester, M.D.). M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, Texas. 1980-1981.
- Research Assistant at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Baltimore, M.D. (under R, Tucker, M.D., Ph D.) 1982-1983.
- Androgen Receptors in Becker’s Nevus (under S. Bruce, M.D.). Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. 1986.
- Topical Magainins in the Treatment of Infected Skin Wounds (under William H. Eaglstein, M.D.) University of Miami School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Miami, Florida 1988-1989.
- An open-label. Non-Controlled Study of Calcipotriol (MC903/bmy 30434) Ointment (0.005%) in the Long-Term Treatment of Plaque Psoriasis. Baylor College of Medicine. Houston, Texas.
- Controlled Trial Comparing Sulconazole Nitrate/Hydrocortisone Valerate Gel, Sulconazole Nitrate Gel and Hydrocortisone Valerate Gel in the Treatment of Tinea Pedis. Baylor College of Medicine. Houston, Texas.
- Double Blind, Bilateral, Paired Comparison Study of Ultravate Ointment 0.05% in the Treatment of Plaque Psoriasis. Baylor College of Medicine. Houston, Texas.
- Prospective, Multicenter Study to determine the Safety and Efficacy of a Unique Rediofrequency Device on Moderate to Severe Hand Wrinkles. Miami, Florida and San Antonio, Texas, 2011.
UndergraduateJohns Hopkins University (full scholarship)
Aug 1979 – May 1983
Bachelor of Arts in Natural Sciences
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TXAug 1983 – June 1987
Baylor College of Medicine
July 1987 – June 1988
University of Miami School of Medicine
July 1988 – June 1989
First-year Residency in Dermatology
Baylor College of Medicine
July 1989 – June 1991
Residency in Dermatology
National Merit Scholar (1979)
Phi Beta Kappa